About Localization

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harms, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

Okay I know this is very early to talk about, but its something I have been wondering about. You guys know how long games from Korea take to get localized right. Well it takes a while, a long time. However, wouldn't it be different for MS2? Firstly due to the fact that there's Nexon NA. There's a publisher for it ready to go as Nexon is international. As it takes a long time to find a publisher.

Secondly Maplestory is and was a huge hit in NA. Therefore wouldn't MS2 be localized quickly after launch of KMS2? What are your guys thoughts? How long do you guys think it will take for MS2 to get to NA after its released in Korea?

2. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
    Time between KMS and GMS was about 2-3 years. This was in the MMO industries infancy (early 2000's) when only Everquest and a few other select MMO's were available. WoW was still super new at the time was well.

I believe with the playerbase already existing in NA/The world, localization will be swift to say the least. I'd expect about 6months-1 year for the first localized version of the game to be released to some country. Nexon might be smart to localize to China first since China is a huge cash cow for them.

3. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

I was thinking the same like 6 months to a year for them to release a localized version. Your right they might release to china first. However I hope they release it globally first :D. Speaking of release I hope the betas go smooth so the release can come along faster. I know some mmorpgs that stay in cbt/obt for so long, it gets annoying ahaha. Also thanks a lot for the founders badge :).

4. Orekei

City Guard
    Founder

IGN:
    Orekeitarou
    Level:
    I wish they made a MapleStory Oceania or Australia, so laggy for me on GMS.

5. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
    Is SEA any better?

6. Arrivederci

Founder

Level:
    I imagine it might take some time for them to finally put it out there vs having the content actually translated. Like stated, even though we have a player base and an immediate publisher for most regions, there's quite a bit of money loss in some of the versions from what was shown for the 2013 gains/losses graph that was put up around the net. If versions of Maplestory aren't doing good when the content finally hits, I imagine they'd be rather wary about putting the content out here at first.

Especially when the community's reactions to MS2 are very ranged, being anywhere from "looks great" to "looks like trash" and of course the big "I hope it doesn't end up like MS1"

I'll be pleased if/when we get it. I'm very curious to see what the story is like.

7. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

The lore is going to be the best part as I love MS1's lore. It's really interesting how there going WAY back in time with this. I cant wait to see how times were back then. Like how the city's were and stuff.

Also I wonder what parts are there and whats not (Like for an example they say Elluel is a town from the far past, does that mean it will be in MS2?) Lastly there's been a lot of reception from our region about MS2, and it will only grow as more info for it comes out. I see many English comments and stuff on their teaser site if that matters ahahaha.:P

8. Sue

Sue

Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    Localisation will be pretty quick. I give it 6 months tops. They need to translate everything of course. I'm just really hoping Nexon Korea decides to not go with Nexon North America and finds a better publisher. I recall that they did this for some game in the past. Nexon NA is just... trash.

4 people like this.
  9. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

ahahah XD well yea nexon NA is not that great.... However i think its inevitable there going pick them. First due to them being the NA branch and having maplestory 1 already. Also there an immediate publisher, but yea 6 months after KR release would be awesome XD.

10. greencactuar

Guard Sergeant
    Founder

Agreed with 6months that was my guess too. MS is a huge cash cow for Nexon so they'll rush it. They're also generally pretty decent at translation early early MS was really translated well, but lately there are quite a few translation errors lol.

2 people like this.
  11. Flya

Guard Sergeant
    Founder

IGN:
    Julze
    Level:
    Id be guessing 6 months-1 year aswell. But getting into the Korean beta is going to be superrr hard for others not in Korea

12. ThatWasMyKil

The Battle Bishop!
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    ThatWasMyKil
    Level:
    Job:
    im quite interested to see how this will work, lets call our version world wide to keep it simple for now - have a look at the maplestory2 twitter account pretty much all the people are from this world wide version of the game https://twitter.com/maplestory2/followers

yet we account for a small amount of nexon's revenue in comparison to china/korea/japan we seem to be the most vocal on social media and we hate to wait for things. should be interesting.

2 people like this.
  13. Psychopathic

City Guard
    Founder

I play GMS in NZ and don't seem to get more lag than anyone who plays in the US.
    An Oceania version would be so empty and a silly idea when the population of Maplestory isn't getting any bigger.

14. greencactuar

Guard Sergeant
    Founder

MS1 got super big through word of mouth I think. MS2 has to regain player trust and if it has something similar to cubing or any type of p2w the word of mouth will be to stay away. They can't get away with it this time because if players see it coming they'll head out as soon as possible.

15. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

True that^. Times are different now, they wont be able to flip the script as they did with MS1. People will see it coming as you said and they will be like okay can this I'm out before it even comes. They will know how things will pan out if it does come also, therefore leave before it destroys the game.