Pay2win

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sean, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Sean

City Guard
    Founder

Level:
    So as we all know, MapleStory is currently pay to win. There's no denying it.
    You only start to make your money back after you can defeat all the end game bosses (personal experience).

If MapleStory 2 is pay to win, will you play it?
    If it is, I will probably try it out, and then quit after about a month.

2 people like this.
  2. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
    If MS2 is pay to win I probably won't play it very long or I will play it just for fun.

Nexon Korea stated that they have no plans to make the game pay to win but we can of course see their cash shop implementation already from the trailer video, players in that video had hats/clothes/etc that was far from the default equipment that a class would wear.

I just hope that the cash shop stays as a means to wear cosmetic gear, not drastically change how the game is played by modifying equipment.

3. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

IT depends; a f2p game can be pay to win in some sort of way. For an example if you buy a pet with auto loot; thats a advantage. However MS1 took it way to far, I don't even want to talk about it. Therefore if MS2 takes that same route, no I wont play it. What I mean is that yea ill try it out and play for fun and stuff.

However I wont play seriously or for a long time. On the upside they said it wont be pay2win. If they do try ti make it pay2win as MS1 did it will be a failure. Everyone will notice and be like pc out; they cant do what they did with MS1, unless they want it to fail hard.

4. Sue

Sue

Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    If Maplestory 2 is pay to win, I will just try it out for a little while or make a few videos about it and leave it be. I'll probably complain about it on the videos but eh.

3 people like this.
  5. Josh

City Guard
    Founder

In MS1's earlier stages before there even was a cash shop, clothes that overwrite your regular equips and hair/face styles could be purchased using the game's currency in henesys market.

If this game is Pay2Win I probably won't play it, we'll just have to see

6. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
  7. Flya

Guard Sergeant
    Founder

IGN:
    Julze
    Level:
    It doesnt really matter if it pay 2 win for me. As long as there is somewhat of a good community ill play it.

8. Vinje

City Guard

I'll probably play it even it's pay2win, so long as I like it and it holds my interest. :eh:
    Though I rather it not be pay2win obviously, so fingers cross that nexon keeps it word.

9. Mystek

For me, it doesn't really matter if it's P2W or not; I like Maplestory as it is now, so if it's like that (or hopefully even better!) I'll be happy with that.

10. NekoChan

I'll play it but if it's pay2win right off the bat that would suck.

Fun Fact: Some people still believe Maplestory isn't P2W

2 people like this.
  11. lilgoldfish

I'm sure nexon will somehow make maplestory 2 p2w

12. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

LOL ppl believe that, omg lol :P

My hopes are they don't make it P2W they should know inside that's how they messed up MS1, even if they wont openly ever clearly admit it.

13. Cerixthegray

I wouldn't doubt if they made it Pay to win. However Regardless if it's Free to play I'll play it to try it out.

14. IU0UI

Well, I just think that if they make it p2w then they would just have fewer ppl play the game because there are other games that are better in some way. However I'm also wondering if MS would still be up to play.

15. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

Yes MS1 will still be up to play. MS2 and MS1 are two complete separate games and have different developers as stated by nexon.

16. Nic

Nic

Guard Sergeant
    Wiki Editor

I will try to analize it in the moment and then make a move (Stay and play or leave). It's simple to me, Nexon knows about their mistakes but it's their choice if they continue making P2W games or not.
    If I leave, at least I will do it with a smile be cause I played one game that I really wanted.

2 people like this.
  17. Mazz

Founder

Nexon said the same thing about MS1, so I wouldn't hold your breath. I wouldn't be surprised if buying NX eventually gives a somewhat unfair advantage, but I think they've learned their lesson about the disaster that was the potential system.

That isn't true. Those equips have always been NX only, there was no in-game 'NX' vendor. The CS button didn't work but a lot of the early players had some NX outfits, same deal for GMS closed beta.

2 people like this.
  18. Josh

City Guard
    Founder

GMS beta can't really be compared to KMS's because while GMS was in its beta, KMS had already worked out a bunch of the core aspects of their game and those responsible for GMS were able to work around them before they were fully implemented. During KMSB there were a ton of features that ended up being temporary or half finished before being scrapped, this is when they'd add their ideas in real time for testing.
    You can't say for certain if there were or were not shops that sold NX in KMSB, but it's clear that those screenshots take place before the cash shop was even finished conceptually, and the shops that appeared in henesys market (later used for skin care/face/eye change) had a different purpose, they were still functional shops; one could assume by their decorative t-shirt shop icon that at the time gave players those equips.

OT: While Maple 2 will probably be based around Maple 1's successful features, a lot of the same may happen, where the stuff they add to the game gets scrapped, but hey, maybe we will get that housing system this time around :D

19. Vinje

City Guard

I would love a housing system, especially a guild housing system. :full:

20. Mazz

Founder

Why would you assume that icon means an NX vendor NPC? The full version of that screenshot shows there isn't even an NPC anywhere in sight,

[​IMG]

and the Cash Shop was added in pretty early. Notice the red 'shop' button on the top of the bottom bar UI on the left:

[​IMG]

Granted there are screenshots of players wearing 'cash' items where there is no shop button, but iirc those players were given cash items as rewards for being closed beta testers. Can't remember where I read about it though, was years ago. There are a lot of Korean blog posts about early kMS beta but I don't read Korean so I can't go looking.