Really disappointed with the art direction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slizZzy, Apr 10, 2015.

1. slizZzy

I think the whole reason MS1 felt so huge is that the game made you feel so small. Things were in proportion. I remember the first time i got to Ellinia and being blown away by the massive trees and landscapes. You could comfortably fit 30 people in a house. Now your characters are half the size of houses and trees. It really takes away from the massiveness that made MS1 so popular. And the maps in MS2 seem to be made for playing a game. There are ladders everywhere and the whole world just seems to be designed to be played i guess? This takes away from the immersion and realism. Its maplestory i know, but MS1 did not have this feel. It felt like a real world. Not catered to the player and not like a super mario level.

And the block style art will be dated very soon. It already is sort of. Plus it really takes away from the immersion of being in a real world. I feel like you will be constantly reminded that you are playing a video game with this art style. I understand why it was necessary but it would have been much cooler without the block style. I know Nexon doesn't have the budget to create a full fledged real scale world but man this is disappointing. It looks cheap and rushed. I love maplestory but I wont be playing a minecraft MMO. It would have been totally acceptable in this scale it is now without the block system. It looks like such a cheap gimmick

2. AtomicAdam

Super Kami Guru
    Super Moderator

IGN:
    AtomicAdam
    Level:
    Job:
    I kind of agree with the block thing being a gimmick, but at the same time, the sheer amount of creative and fun things it seems you will be able to do justify it. If we look at other more realistic-looking games who have tried to have that level of customization and building, it has felt so empty. Games like 7 Days to Die and Rust. Sure you CAN build in them, but it's incredibly jarring. Not to mention the fact that if it had gone the other way, it also wouldn't have felt like MapleStory either, because it would be too realistic. I feel the best way to look at Maple 2 is that it is its own game that borrows elements from the first, but is a different experience.

3. slizZzy

True, I agree. But i think all of that customization could have been pulled off without the block art being so prevalent. Hell it could operate on a block system but just not look like it you know? round the corners and make it look like this sort of: http://imgur.com/G4L7oo2

The block art also ruins the lore of maplestory completely for me with this "Lapenta" bullshit. Its just not engaging. I really appreciate what Nexon was trying to do with it but this has completely ruined my favorite MMO and its lore. Just sucks because ive been waiting for MS2 for years :( You simply cannot have an engaging deep MMO built in a block world. The whole point of MMO's is to get lost in that world and let it turn into a reality. And that just wont be possible in a block world. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

4. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
    I personally don't mind the art style.

Many people are attributing the style of the game being "minecraft-esque" solely off of the use of cubes.
    Why they chose to use cubes as their theme, I don't know. But just because its using them for decoration doesn't mean it should wholly define their game. 2D sidescrollers as a MMO are kind of really dead/dying out. MapleStory is like the one last vanguard in this respect and anyone can see its popularity is dipping.

As you can see from this video

The game isn't going to be completely defined by the cubes. There are still random objects, houses, mobs, fences, trees, etc that aren't blocky. Just the landscape itself will be.

That video also shows you that Ellinia will not lose its massive appearance. There are elevators/ladders/ropes/vines to travel to other locations within the town.

[​IMG]

And keep in mind that the game is still in testing. When MS1 was released the game consisted entirely of Maple Island, Victoria, and Orbis. El Nath might have been put in place but I wasn't around during that time (Joined July 2005, game launched in May iirc?) Over the years they have added an immense amount of classes, maps, mobs, and bosses. Who knows? Maybe in 2016 or 2017 they'll add some new area that is even larger than Ellinia.

5. slizZzy

It just seems the game has lost its touch for me, Zelkova. Compare these 2 pictures of Ellinia: Which one looks more "magical" to you?

You simply cannot pull off a fantasy MMORPG with a block world. The new ellinia and all the towns looks so sterile and stale already. And even more kid-like than the orignal maplestory, which is not a good thing as I felt MS1 had struck an almost perfect balance. I didnt mean I wanted MS2 to be 2D i dont know where you got that from but definently not this. The block style is literally the one thing they cant change which is heartbreaking to me because it means one of my favorite franchises is now dead.

I tried my best to look past it and try to like it but i think literally any other option would have been better. *Sigh* RIP Maplestory
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#5 slizZzy, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. PurpleClouds

Well everyone has their own opinion, but just in case your misinformed. There are some really massive maps in ms2. Your ms2 character is the size of one of those cubes. To put that into perspective look at the pictures below. (correction "links"... cuz im a noob)

https://orangemushroom.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/tria.png
    https://orangemushroom.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/royal-road-south.png
    https://orangemushroom.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/winding-canyon.png

Also the environment is completely interactive. That means you can knock down stuff, and climb practically anything. So i think that sounds more immersive. I personally love the cube-ish layout, its much better for a game, which it is, to be simple and yet at the same time detailed. If you see the cbt content on youtube, seriously just type in "ms2 cbt", notch it up to 1080p, and see how varied each map is with its own small details and design. MS1 had that as well but the 2D concept is outdated, and its a huge drawback of the gameplay. Also in minecraft literally everything is blocky, from monsters to you.. in ms2 only the maps are blocky.

Last remark, nexon is a huge company they own so many fantasy mmorpgs, they have people who have worked for 30-40 years designing games. If they thought this art-style/gameplay isnt suitable or inferior they wouldnt have chosen it. So you should atleast give the game a try when it comes out and make your judgement.

7. Select

Guard Sergeant

IGN:
    Greatening
    Level:
    Do keep in mind this is supposed to be set before MS1 from my understanding. So let's just assume everything is smaller because MS2 hasn't fully grown into the massive world MS1 is yet. This doesn't mean I expect the world to be much smaller, but it would explain as things start off a lot smaller. You wouldn't make massive houses if you don't expect millions of people to be moving to a new continent. (Lore wise. Not player base wise) So if everything is smaller it would make sense for the lore. Ellinia most likely didn't grow overnight and you wouldn't expect the aged look some places in MS1 have to be in MS2 which is explainable by the still child friendly look. And I think the blocky look still helps MapleStory as a whole keep it's own unique look. It would be kind of jarring if it went from 2D graphics to a Korean looking MMORPG like Black Desert as a prequel to the original MS. So lore wise, smaller things would make sense as it is before the original and things wouldn't be as expansive. And I would kind of feel disappointed if they stuck with the 2D graphics as just a MS1 reskin. I can totally understand the direction where they're taking this game even if it's not the biggest leap after this many years since the first release. And it doesn't have to be a huge skip. As long as it is a good game that still feels like MapleStory without just being a MS1 reskin then I'm fine with it. And I'm sure many other players will agree without just blindly accepting the game because of their love for the original game.

8. bumbertyr

IGN:
    bumbertyr
    im absolutely in love with maple 2 XD

Jampysos likes this.
  9. Torn

IGN:
    Torn
    Job:
    Everything isn't really all that small... The buildings are probably the only thing, but in all honesty, the maps seem to be way bigger than ms1 maps. The only reason you felt small in ms1 is because the background images were huge. A good example of that is the various trees in Ellinia.

If you take a look at the pictures slizzy has above, the 'platforms' you're on in ms2 are way bigger than ms1. The only difference I see is that the trees in the background are huge in ms1. They can make the background images in ms2 give you that feel. For instance, if the platform was surrounded by huge trees so that the player would think he is just on one of those huge trees in the middle of a huge forest, I think the same feel would come back.

But idk, those are just my thoughts.

10. kIKO

I sort of agree w/ OP, but at the same time, I am very excited to explore the new MS2 world! The change from 2D to 3D is something I was looking forward to, and the fact that the block style won out makes me happy. I also agree w/ @Select in regards to MS2 taking place before MS1, thus everything may not have that old/faded look. Over all, I am just happy to see that MS2 is finally here and counting down the time before I can actually play it. cheersx

11. slizZzy

What i meant by it ruining the lore is it has this whole really weird "lapenta" block backstory lol. Its very odd and that whole story just kills it for me. Watch the trailer.The back story is about how the world was built from blocks... thats so weak IMO

I agree the maps are waaaaay bigger but what i meant by the scale is that your character is half the size of a house in MS2, then you walk into that building or whatever and its suddenly huge inside. That kind of scaling makes it feel cheap and like a browser game or something.

Never said i wanted MS2 to be 2D i most definitely dont, I would have been very happy the way it is now just without the block system. It just looks so goddamn ugly. They only chose that style to cash in on the minecraft phase and make a quick buck. Guess im just tired of developers pumping out shit as fast as they can for quick money. (see: every call of duty and battlefield hardline) Instead of making original games having some integrity publishers now just make what they think will sell the best then just make a new one in 2 years to bait you in again. Im not mad at MS2 just the game industry as a whole i guess haha. I will definitely try it out it just feels like the game has lost that magical touch to me. Its the only reason i ever played MS1. It had an awesome sort of originality and spark that no other game had, but now ripping off minecraft and voxel art with a "how the world was created from blocks" back story just completely ruins it for me.

#11 slizZzy, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  12. Torn

IGN:
    Torn
    Job:
    I guess I see why some people don't like that feel of the housing, but it doesn't really bother me here just like it never bothered me in games such as Pokemon.

13. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
    #RealisticHouses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Josh, Jampysos, Siggy and 2 others like this.
  14. Torn

IGN:
    Torn
    Job:
    That bed is huge!

15. Select

Guard Sergeant

IGN:
    Greatening
    Level:
    I wouldn't say that the blocks themselves are apart of the lore. It's just the blocks aren't a jarring change in comparison to the 2D animation. If you are capable of immersing yourself in a game then the art style really isn't a problem. Especially since the art style doesn't actually have to do with the lore. If you think the blocks ruin the whole way MapleStory works then the only way to please you would be with another 2D game. But obviously the game needed to take the leap into a 3D setting without it being jarring with the change or having it be 2D and just being a MapleStory reskin.

16. slizZzy

alright i see your point lol, but there is just something about MS1 that felt more "real". i cant put my finger on it. MS2 reminds me of a super mario level. there are ladders everywhere and it just seems like the maps are meant to be "played" i guess. It too catered to the player. while MS1 was more unforgiving.

what do you mean? the entire back story is about how the world was created from blocks. its definitely part of the lore. which is so goddamn cheap and stupid. dont mean to sound like an asshole but nexon took the easy way out on this one. full 3D shouldn't have been a problem. and no thats not the only way it would please me? i definitely dont want another 2D maplestory. i dont know why people are saying that. If they could have just made it 3D without the blocks that would have been fine but whats easier and cheaper than making a block world? thats about as lazy as it gets. imagine one of the floating islands in a regular 3D format instead of made out of blocks. i think that would have been so much cooler

17. Select

Guard Sergeant

IGN:
    Greatening
    Level:
    For starters, I don't think it says in the lore that the MapleStory world was made from blocks. It's an art direction. And even if it was canon, then you have a poor suspension of disbelief. It wouldn't make sense for them to go full out in the art style because this one allows them to keep the old MapleStory sprites and character designs with a 3D aspect. They didn't even have to make a second MapleStory to begin with. I think you need to step back for a second and realize how big your first world problems are sounding. The art style was chosen and not just picked up randomly. Nexon wouldn't want to pick an art style just to cash in on the Minecraft look like you said earlier. Minecraft isn't even the biggest game there is. There's much more popular games out there with different art styles that they could have copied instead. Like a shell shaded effect that's in Borderlands or really anything else. If you think it's just a quick cash grab, then you're wrong. It's an art style suited to what MapleStory users are accustomed to. It wasn't just slapped together.

18. slizZzy

lmao what does this have to do with first world problems? And yes they totally would and did pick an art style to cash in on current popularities. thats why i said it feels cheap. imagine MS2 in the scale/size it is now in full 3D without the blocks. it would look so much nicer and cooler. imagine running around on that floating island up and down hills instead of climbing blocks like a fucking super mario level. it was chosen out of laziness and convenience. the building/customization could have still be implemented without the block system just fine.

and maplestory players aren't "accustomed" to playing a minecraft MMO. It has absolutely no similarities with the original maplestory. i dont know how you reached that logic in your head.

19. Select

Guard Sergeant

IGN:
    Greatening
    Level:
    You're looking at it all wrong. You think the MS is cashing in on a "Minecraft style" when for starters, that style isn't even something that's profitable. If people played games just because it had a blocky look then the majority of games would look like that. The art style suits what the game wants to do. If they want to have mini games and stuff and game mechanics that can only be done with that kind of art style then they should go for it. Game developers don't choose designs based on what is easy, they do it for what will work for them. Why is there still 2D games? Because it will suit what kind of in game mechanics will work. The game mechanics work with the block like art style. Not because they want to make an MMO Minecraft. It's not a cheap cash grab, it's something developers came up with. And clearly Nexon is capable of making very well animated games if they have games like Vindictus under them. So no, Nexon doesn't do cheap things and lazy things. Sometimes they do with smaller game elements, but never on the full game all around. Unless you want to say this successful gaming company is only successful because they release sloppy and lazy games.

20. ChannelOnion

City Guard
    Ambassador

It may very well be true that Nexon is following the trend on the "Minecraft blocks", and it has bought many criticisms since the day the game was shown off. As art style and preference is a subjective matter, we ought to shift our eyes upon the purpose of this design. I feel that Nexon is trying to break the barrier in terms of UGC (User Generated Content) in MMORPGs, and that this blocky art style serves this purpose. It is undoubtedly easy to manipulate blocks when creating custom levels and minigames as compared to using a map editor. Anyone with a brilliant idea for a minigame, not necessarily great at art, should be able to come up with a fun and also a great looking custom level.

ThatsAwesome likes this.