Serious topic here. Sexualization in MapleStory 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zelkova, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
    What do you guys think about the sexualization of MapleStory 2 by Nexon?

If you look at the preview images for classes and some of the other preview images, you'll see that the art team has been pushing the limit (so to say) with what all it can show.

Some examples would be:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing is extremely outlandish, however I have heard some concerns on other websites about how Nexon is continuing to include this in their preview artwork.

What do you think? Is this something to even "worry" about? I mean... there are other MMO's out there with actual boob physics (and more).

2 people like this.
  2. Justin

City Guard
    Founder

I think it can be something to worry about, to an extent. I mean, will it have any direct effect on the game itself? Likely not. However, I can see some angry mothers petitioning the game when it reaches the shores of North America.

If anything, this might require a higher age limitation than the original MapleStory. Of course, that means nothing in countries like the USA, where faking your age for a video game has no real repercussions.

3. iamflip

Streams almost every Friday
    Jr Moderator

Libre Guild

IGN:
    iamflip
    Level:
    Job:
    Well, who is Nexon marketing this game to anyway? Depending on who, this may be a non-issue with parents.

What should be the issue is if Nexon is trying to make the game more sexy in order to get more people to play... only to be disappointed with the game.

2 people like this.
  4. Grim

Founder

maybe it just means ms2 will not be for the kiddies and more for 16+? which i am completely ok with. sorry kids :topkek: .

5. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

I think everyone is taking this to seriously and making it out of hand. This is nothing if compared to other modern day mmorpgs, such as Black Desert, Bless online, and Blade and Soul. But if you want to categorize it, Dragons nest also has somethings like that. Therefore i think this is nothing to make a big deal of.

6. Sandott

Founder

it appears they are targeting the 14-17 age range in these pics, as noted by the rounded, curvy style of the manga. Of course they are using the sexual overtones known to the ages older than that, but it would be nouveau appealing to the younger ages.

3 people like this.
  7. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
    Jeez, you learn something new every day. Sandy are you a manga aficionado?

8. Inspia

City Guard
    Founder

I think it's fine. The majority of players are teen males so I don't really mind their sexualization of chibis.
    Some guys would be nice though. They'd have to make them badass or bishie like to make them comparable to the females.

(THAT ABSOLUTE TERRITORY THO

2 people like this.
  9. Sue

Sue

Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    I think that they've been making characters without any specific form in the body for so long that they now want to go all out. I think they're also trying to convey that it's no longer the kiddy game that Maplestory has an image.

10. ThatWasMyKil

The Battle Bishop!
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    ThatWasMyKil
    Level:
    Job:
    I worry that the over sexualization of most media these days alienates potential players, this is just happening to games though look at music videos and movies - anime is a perfect example of content creators appealing to the libido of young boys, I struggle to justify watching anime on my ipad when on the plane as i worry that some half naked fan service shot will come out from the left wing.

or hey I may just be getting old.

11. Mushroom

City Guard
    Founder

Boku no pico sir.

Haha I don't care much for it I don't see it being any huge problem really I would enjoy a even more mature audiance however that won't happen it will just be the majority 14-17 year kids I agree with sandy. In my personal opinoin I mean It's I'ts kind of cute I like the art style of the game very much so.

12. Orekei

City Guard
    Founder

IGN:
    Orekeitarou
    Level:
    MapleStory has always been an Anime MMORPG to me, so it's not really going to be that strange when it changes into 3D. However, they are conveying that MapleStory 2 will no longer be a child's game, with the changes in sexuality, I feel like the community will be in for a shock.

13. greencactuar

Guard Sergeant
    Founder

I believe they realize that the original audience has grown quite a bit so they're trying to show that they understand that most maplers are no longer 10 year olds, but none the less it just seems weird to me lol. Never really understood the "Sexualization" in MMORPGS, but I get some skimpy clothes, but as long as they have a large variety of things to wear I don't see the harm in it.

2 people like this.
  14. Zelkova

Royal Warden
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    Shugo
    Level:
    Job:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Inspia

City Guard
    Founder

Mmm. I remember the days when all Maplestory servers were full resulting in D/Cing and being unable to login. We really have grown since then ;w;

16. ThatWasMyKil

The Battle Bishop!
    Administrator

Ironclad

IGN:
    ThatWasMyKil
    Level:
    Job:
    Thats exactly what happens.

17. Ignewton

Level:

18. NekoChan

I find it stupid when anything sexualizes something for attention, there's nothing wrong with it, but there's also nothing wrong with calling it stupid. It's something that seems really common in Korean games, in gaming in general, but Koream MMORPGs seem to do this a lot. I thought it was just the Japanese with their pervy anime, but apparently Koreans have their pervy games.

Other than me thinking it's stupid, who cares as long I can make an equally sexy guy character. I hate it when I can make a super sexy girl character, but can't make a sexy guy.

19. Cerixthegray

Well, I don't think it's THAT bad. I mean at least it's not like....Tera online level of sexualization where higher level armors are practically tiny scraps of metal attached to the female character.

20. Vinje

City Guard

You can make a sexy guy in Vindictus.