Why I miss & Perfer Old Maple Story.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mushroom, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Mushroom

City Guard
    Founder

I have played since the first year Maple story came out. The game was honestly like nothing I've played before when I was a kid the music, the items the customization
    everything about Maple story was near perfect.. there wasn't any pay 2 win models. no one cared about doing the most damage.. It was a game that was based on
    doing quests, grinding, bossing and ofcourse the social interaction was just so much fun for example.. Going on to a ship to Orbis and hiding inside away from balrogs talking
    to people f2ing It really made you feel like you were Flying to a new world. Now in todays mapleworld that's.. not the case no one uses the ship you can teleport there
    what I'm trying to say is every single aspect that made Maple story... well Maple story had just Vanished slowly.. In up coming years they started to release new classes and content which was awesome! I remember how much epic content and how much Nexon they held events the game was going so well! From Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring, Summer events they really were always there to make us to feel like the game wasn't going anywhere and there was always something to look forward to.

As time past things started to happen which scared alot of ms's player base. New classes which require NX for skill usage was probably one of the saddest days on Maple story for me because quite truthfully I never thought the game would shift into a P2W Model It was very sad because I put 2 & 2 together and figured out what nexon was doing and they were not going to stop there. Thus later on seeing the game slowly transformed around the NX factor So many people wern't just going to quit the game they loved and played as a kid so as people got older they got jobs and started paying for NX Which still wasn't a horrible thing because It still wasn't even close as bad as I thought til that one day nexon made a dire mistake and tried to make us
    satisfied by letting us vote for "BigBang" which would make Maple 10x Easir to to level Honestly, I was all for it Because I wanted 4th job easir.
    So I blame myself for part of this. The vote decided that Maple story was going to be Easir To Level With New features. Later on one of those features
    were "Cubes" THIS RIGHT HERE Ruined Maple Story Completely for me. It made people who were Honestly.. Richer than you they were going to have the better gear
    and by standards the most damage that's when the game shift into ALL Damage As if NX classes wern't enough.. and yet again the cubes got worse, and worse and worse & the gameit self just transformed into something I don't even want to touch anymore.

The maps changed, It's easir to everything.. The leveling got easir each year.
    At first after Big bang it took you about a 2-4 weeks to get to 120 now in todays Maple world you can achieve 120 in 2-3days. With the fact that All you do from 50-160 is to do PQS. 2 PQ'S. Ludi from 50-70 70-160 R&J. Imo, The good old days were when you could do Monster Carnival PQ'S battle versus other teams which back than it may of took along time but it was fun and challenging at the same time while keeping us entertained because the real beauty of Maple to me was the Challenge
    to reaching that 3rd or 4th job It was rewarding that we all know how it felt when you reached 70 and 120.. for the first time. I sadly realize this when it was to late.
    but the Magic behind Maple for me was the Challenge, the constant grind getting that EXP bar to go up grinding somewhere or PQing with friends or the long journey needed to go to finish quests or even just explore the vast world of Maple another example that I wont forget was when I was a assassin lvl 31 when I was pretty new to maplestory I journeyed down the portals deep into in Ludi all the way down to buffies to pirate vikings using dark sight to see the higher level monsters and I thought to myself.. Wow, One day I'll be able to train here like ThangDinh Hermit (Nostalgia youtube video) It was such a big deal to me.. I can go on and on and on about ths..
    The fact is If you were a Legit old gen Maple story player you would know where I'm coming from..
    ^_^ GOOD TIMES <3
    From the Old Perion Taxi FM @@@@@@@SPAM to the Kerning Sewers FM@@@@@@@ to the Sauna FM@@@@@@
    and Henesey Taxi FM @@@@@@@@

(I miss grinding for 1 level for hours with the older look of the game than I do getting 50 levels in 5 hours.) With all this being said I'm hoping for a fresh nostalgical start with ms2 :D

:~( :~( :~( :~( :~( R.I.P Original Maple Story <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :D :) OGONEHJEBFAIOIJMCECIFEAOMABMLLDLLMKPOKGFBPPJAFIOLNOJPOHBKHNJKGIJBKIENCMABJJMKHHFKNBCBEJCBKAGPKDG.gif

#1 Mushroom, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  2. Kairos

Guard Sergeant
    Founder

Ironclad

IGN:
    Kairos
    Level:
    Job:
    I'll be honest I didn't read the whole thing, just skimmed. No matter the subject people will always look back at the past with fondness, not trying to put down our opinion, change will always happen whether it is for better or not. There are some parts of old maple I like and also parts I dislike. I miss the community but like the faster pace (it can be too fast at times though).

3. AtomicAdam

Super Kami Guru
    Super Moderator

IGN:
    AtomicAdam
    Level:
    Job:
    While I certainly agree that some things were better back in the "old days" of Maple, I do believe a lot of things were changed for the better and ultimately made the game a more fun and interesting experience. I'll try to respond with my views on each of the main topics covered in the original post, but I'm sure I'll miss a few.

Leveling and Grinding
    Everyone I knew back in old days of Maple quit WELL before potential and the Big Bang update. The biggest issue with the game back then was that it was literally just a grind. The only difficulty there was artificial. When you take off the the rose-tinted glasses, you see that it was never difficult or even a challenge, it was just time consuming. I do however think that they might have gone a little bit too far on making leveling easier, but at the same time, it did need to be changed. There was absolutely no chance Maple was going to survive with the old grind. I honestly believe the best way to "fix" this issue with the game is to make it a LITTLE bit slower to level, then add loads of new content for Level 180+. Also instead of spending so much time balancing classes, they should spend time balancing monsters. There are hundreds of maps and monsters in the game, yet only like 8 of them are actually useful.

Exploring the Maple World
    A lot of people bring up the fact that getting around now is too easy. While I do have to agree that boats were definitely an interesting and fun mode of transportation, I am perfectly fine with them not becoming the main mode of transport around the game. Boats were fun, but they also took up far too much time. Depending on your starting point and destination, you could spend upwards of 2 hours getting where you needed to be. At the same time, though, traveling has become a little TOO easy. It makes the world feel incredibly small. If they were to require you to use boats again, some things need to change: 1.) Allow you to go from any station to any other station. So if I'm on Victoria Island, I can go directly to Ariant. 2.) Make the boats take less time. 5 minutes is long enough for any boat ride. 3.) No "you have to wait til the boat arrives before boarding". Seriously, in a world where magic exists, I think they can have multiple boats running simultaneously so when one leaves, there's another one you can board.

The Never Ending Quest... for Higher Damage
    I often see the sentence "people didn't care about damage back in the old days" when referring to maple, and I have to say this is absolutely 100% untrue. If this were the case, things like "dexless" and "low dex" would have never existed. On a personal note, from the very early days of my adventures in maple, it would be impossible for me to numerically express how many times I've had someone come up to me and say "Oh my god, your damage sucks. At Level XX, I was doing WAY more damage than you." The simple fact has been that damage has always been a somewhat important factor in playing this game. Does this mean I justify the addition of the potential system? Well, yes, actually, but I'll get into that in a second. First I do want to note that I do believe that Nexon did it wrong. This feature had potential (yes, I went there and I apologize). Having a randomness to items is fun. It's why tons of people play Borderlands and quite frankly I absolutely love it. I still get happy when I get a good potential on a newer character that makes that Level 20 sword better than a Level 30 one. The biggest problem is that potential is essentially useless until you receive higher item ranks. They have, however, made it slightly easier for non-NX users to make the potential on their items better, and I think as time goes on, they will be making even more changes to the systems to make them more accessible. As of right now, they're heading in the right direction with this one. As for class roles, I honestly don't have much to say. I believe that if a Bishop wants to do cap damage, there should be no limits on that. There are still plenty of ways to make class roles, regardless of how much damage any particular class can do.

There is longer a sense of community.
    Yes. I will agree here that the community has died out quite a bit. But that doesn't mean it's completely gone. Just last month, I was trying to do Romeo and Juliet with a couple of people during 2x, but we simply couldn't find an empty room. Instead, we all decided to just go grind on some Scorpies. In the end, we ended up not really training at all because we mostly just sat on chairs and hung out. It was fun. But yes, this is slowly dying, but I don't attribute this to any of the changes that were made to the game. In time, everything ends, and people move on and that's what we're seeing here.

Some Final Thoughts
    I honestly do believe that the game is better now, than it was back in the "old days". There have been many improvements, and there's definitely more content. There have also been some misguided ambitions, that were initially intended to attract more people, but I think in the end only scared some off. They could afford to return SOME aspects of the game to the way they used to but in the end, I do think MapleStory is currently on a trend towards improvement, and I hope that Nexon can keep it up.

tl;dr I prefer new Maple.

4. Mushroom

City Guard
    Founder

Even with all that being said for me in particular do not find the game as captivating.For me the pay 2 win aspect just got worse and worse and nexon support is a joke. I been hacked twice and they give me some random compensation box with 50m and some potions aprox from the hundreds of $ i spent on nx and my billions of mesos and Items.. Twice, now this isn't the reason I got turned off by ms 1 It was unforchunate but that didn't make me quit. What made me quit was what nexons direction went with p2w and cubes I was completly done.

5. Beast

City Guard

Level:
    I know how you feel Mushroom, I remember these times and I am hoping the same group of people who developed the same game I loved will bring it back again in Maplestory 2.

I loved doing PQ's specially when It's rewarding like KPQ with 10% Overall Dex, I remember how in Bera the best Overall was for one top Hermit at the time "Bera" it was 45/50 Dex WOW... Travelling on boats and hiding inside until Balrog is killed or we reach safely to land.

How about upgrading your own weapon? we would calculate our dmg before the cubes came out because it was that easy to know your own limits. It was basic and to get better u had to work hard and not how much money u can pay Meso farmers to buy Hacked super elite items.

The community was active, KSing was a thing not anymore for some years now because maps are empty and no active guilds anymore. I remember wanted to be stronger so I can help my guild and KS whoever ksed me before!

Events were nice specially Halloween or summer events, this was a way for us to accumulate as much powerful potions "30+w/att" so we can be able to train faster for at least a week or so lol. Now event are degrading really look at back to school event you can lvl up from 170-200 in 2 days or so if u have enough keys!!!

Reaching lvl 70 was rewarding because you just did so much effort to reach there but you also remember how bad it was training from 80-100 those were hard times for every Mapler =)

Bossing was cool from Mushmom to Zakum because the drops were worth it and the excitement was up there. You would stay waiting for Mushmom to spawn and guess what? YOU would write down on a piece of paper the time you killed it so you can come back and kill it again lol wow those were good days. Enough I don't want to be disappointed if MS2 doesn't bring this feeling back because I am tired of playing COD -,-

2 people like this.
  6. imthatbrick

City Guard

I can't say I played from the very beginning, but I started around v40ish. From what I played, I didn't really like the grinding aspect, it got boring fast, but I did like the the fact that different party quests were more viable option, not just for training, but for hanging out with friends. I don't really mind spending a couple dollars on making my character look good, but I hated how they game turned into a pay2win and pay2damage game.

To be honest I liked the fact that there were new jobs and revamps. It allowed for trying various things and styles so it never got boring. Each class has its unique characteristic that made me want to play it. The revamps (specifically skill revamps) made so the jobs got a little more interesting and wasn't always the EXACT same, but eventually it was over done....

7. Mushroom

City Guard
    Founder

Exactly man ya you know Exactly how I feel can only maplestory 2 will come out on top if not.. There's always Tree of savior coming & Wonderking NA hope is not lost <.<

8. Jampysos

Guard Sergeant
    Wiki Editor

PQs made and broke Maple. Nexon needs to figure out a way to close the disparity between the "Elite" players, and the day 1 newbs.

If Nex can figure out a way to make the 'elites' work with the newbs/noobs side by side, AKA good PQs, then the game will succeed.

Also cubes must be a thing of the past, idk what was worse for the community, SOK or cubes.
    And lastly Nex needs to contain their greed, things like selling Owl of Minerva for NX and Platinum SOK were just big No no's and it shows what kind of company Nexon truly is.

I would love to see this game be developed/published by some other company rather than Nexon, but I guess theoretically we can't have our cake and at the same time eat it.

9. Harms

City Guard
    Founder

I somewhat agree with this. Maple used to be awesome in the past because of the social aspect and the difficulty. It was just plain different back then. In my opinion it was more community orientated and more teamwork/exploration was involved. As the game aged it chipped away at what maple awesome. Sure some things obviously made it better but it mostly degraded the game.

Things like all the P2W and making things simpler/easier. They changed a lot of things for the worse like PQ's fort example. There's a lot of stuff that I can go on about. In the end MS1 was amazing before, but now its just a mere meh. I was hoping for them to fix the P2W and hopefully bring back the old feeling again.

However, they hardly did a thing. So I gave up on it all. To be honest sometimes I feel like going back and playing. However, I then tell myself one thing that holds me back: Whats the point its all P2W.

TDLR: MS1 became super P2W and that's what its known for now, "one of those F2P P2W MMORPG's."

#9 Harms, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  10. Jampysos

Guard Sergeant
    Wiki Editor

Yeah I agree, I think Nexon just confused what the userbase liked and unknowingly shifted to meet the demands of a small minority at the expense of the majority.

When I think back to what made me love maple so much, it was the people. Back in the day no one would travel alone, why? It was just too dangerous. No one would go into the ant tunnel without a friend or two, especially a cleric buddy. Kerning Channel 1 was filled with low levels trying to do KPQ, people were stealing each others channels, the Pt leader had to know how to "click" fast. In CPQ (mostly before trade wins) people would make friends with stronger people. For the few that knew, Balrog PQ up top of Perion. The things that really made MS special could not be done alone. People needed parties to kill zakum/targar...

And when those things vanished, and the effectiveness of soloing rose because of P2W aspects combined with Nexons horrible service which drove people away on its own, the games backbone broke from under it. What we have now is simply MS1 without the spine, Ms1 without the vibrant community it needs to flourish.

This is why MS2 is very important, its a chance for Nexon to do right.

4 people like this.