Add a Prompt on Embedded Videos (specifically on the homepage)

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by AtomicAdam, Nov 19, 2014.

1. AtomicAdam

AtomicAdam Super Kami Guru
    Super Moderator

Level:
    Job:
    There's been an issue with the main page of Tria for a while know that is caused by the embedded videos. I'm not sure how many people experience it, but due to my slower internet speed and the time it takes to load the embedded videos, the homepage tends to bottleneck and become unresponsive while it's loading these videos.

A good way to fix this would be to have a button that says "Click Here to Load Video" and then once you click it, the embedded video is loaded up. I know several other forums I've been members to have done this in the past. This would also allow a thread to have many videos posted without having to worry about it causing an immense amount of lag. Another option would be to give the user the ability to turn on/off embedded videos, and have videos be replaced with a link when choosing the latter.

Anyway, that's all. Here's a picture of a kitten:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    Would you prefer something like

3. AtomicAdam

Super Moderator

Level:
    Job:
    I'm not entirely sure that would work. I think the spoiler tags just hide content in a div with display set to none. AFAIK, the browser will still send the HTTP requests for the video's content, and will still freeze up as it waits for a reply. I'm not 100% sure how that works as I've never need to test it myself. It could be worth a shot though. If you change it for the videos on the homepage, I'll let you know if it loads any faster.

4. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    Can you point me to which forums you know have a feature like this? It would be easier to implement if I knew.

5. AtomicAdam

Super Moderator

Level:
    Job:
    Unfortunately any forum that had this is long since dead. I can try to find an example of it somewhere. I do know that one of them did use the "spoiler" tag to do it, but their spoilers worked differently. That forum loaded in the contents when you clicked the spoiler link, rather than just making a div visible again.

I know another one would have a big black box appear over the video that had a little button saying "Click Here to View the Video", but come to think of it, that may have actually been a wordpress blog.