Let's Discuss - A Better Maple Update

Discussion in 'MapleStory' started by AtomicAdam, Mar 9, 2015.

1. AtomicAdam

AtomicAdam Super Kami Guru
    Super Moderator

Level:
    Job:
    If you are unaware, Nexon currently posted on their site and forums an update about A Better Maple. I thought it might be pertinent to discuss the state of the game and the changes over the past year.

As pointed out by the article, several changes have been made to the game in the past year or so to try to alleviate "pay-to-win" and altogether improve the gaming experience. From my personal point of view, I'm quite happy with Nexon's progress. They are seemingly more open and transparent about what goes on behind-the-scenes and are more willing to listen to players. With the inclusion of features that allow non-paying users access to content previously restricted to those who are willing to spend money on the game are a pleasant sight. I feel if Nexon continues down this path, it could breathe new life into the game.

I still think there are a lot of improvements that need to be made to the game, but this is a good step in the right direction. There's still a large gap between players who pay and players who don't, and I think that should be the primary focus of the developers, rather than giving us an extra chapter of FriendStory.

So what are some of your thoughts on the state of maple over the past year or so?

2. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    I'm worried that this could lead to a new form of potential or a damage cap increase. Nexon doesn't always voluntarily lose out on cash (i.e. cubes) without another thing planned. That is of course if they're not hoping that this will cause more people to come back to the game since its not so pay to win.

For me it's up in the air I guess.

3. Select

Select Guard Sergeant

Level:
    I do feel like it's a step in the right direction as they are now tailoring the game towards a better player experience that everyone wants rather than the people who can just endlessly throw money at their screen. However, I don't think it will make a boom in Maple's popularity but it will probably be capable of keeping a steady fan base. With Maplestory 2 on the horizon it might be able to keep it's head up long enough for their to be new players attracted to the former version of the game or have old players come back for nostalgic reasons. But games usually do take a lot for them to die out so I don't think Nexon is doing this just to save one of their bigger games. So it sounds like their just doing the right thing by listening to the players.

4. HollowQc

HollowQc City Guard

Level:
    Job:
    Im Really happy of what ive been reading this morning about that post ! we are gonig in the right direction . And yeah nexon finally listen to what player want and if you look at the comment of that post on facebook ...3/4 of the people want old ms :p mostly for the community !

5. Josh

Josh City Guard
    Founder

[​IMG]
    i've been waiting for this

(OT: With how the game was being run before I found it harder and harder to continue playing knowing that I wouldn't get anywhere without spending money, these updates might be enough to get me back into the game casually at the very least)

6. AtomicAdam

Super Moderator

Level:
    Job:
    You know, I have this completely asinine thought that Nexon has been preparing for MapleStory to close for a while now. Despite the fact that they're effectively removing their own money-making methods gradually over time, KMS hasn't REALLY seen an update since Black Heaven. There's been some minor stuff, but nothing really that major. I know they SAID Maple wouldn't close when Maple 2 came out, but I mean, come on. It's Nexon. They lie.

7. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    When MS is eventually going to close out I feel like they'll make the cash shop free for the last week or something. Can you imagine the lag from last minute players?

8. HollowQc

HollowQc City Guard

Level:
    Job:
    @Zelkova Closing MS Mean They Have To Refund People That Bought NX With Paypal. They Actually Refunded ALL THE NX i bought with my paypal when i got 1 of my account banned like a year ago(got that account back )...and i guess it a similar situation...since they just close the game u can ask paypal for chargeback and shet like that since the game simply close and it look like a scam to paypal sooo i dont think they will close ms1 that soon to prevent that situation. ( well that what i think )

9. Josh

Josh City Guard
    Founder

I wouldn't call it asinine, they've definitely been preparing for the end for a while now. It's been a while since I kept track of the updates but it's been like this for a couple years now, the updates are usually filler updates, any real content added uses assets from other updates, it seems the staff involved doesn't put a lot of effort forth anymore. With them updating the game for the better at least now I feel they actually care about the game, with the condition gMS was in a couple years ago I was pretty sure NexonNA was just going to let Maple die here.

10. Flya

Flya Guard Sergeant
    Founder

Level:
    I remember playing maple around 07-09 and i found that the content in those 2 years was the exact same. comparing to the past 2 years we have had a lot of really cool updates that would be complete game changers if they were brought out at that time.

TL;DR I found the game didnt update at all in 07-09 compared to 14-15

11. Artasi

Artasi Newbie

I wouldn't worry about that being anything near the case. :)

We've said time and time again, that as long as we have a player base that is actively supporting our game, that it will stay open. The concern is understandable as the game climbs in age of course, though. We have seen a pretty awesome ramp up in content coming over from our development team lately, and also a healthy number of ideas have been sent to them from us. On top of that, we have gotten in stone a pretty good development cycle into our own version, as to now that we are receiving KMS content within 5-6 of release in their service (barring content we choose not to implement, of course).

Also, as an FYI, MapleStory 2 development does not impact MapleStory development at all.

3 people like this.
  12. AtomicAdam

Super Moderator

Level:
    Job:
    Yes, my theory is mostly wrought out by my own incessant paranoia and speculation. Just ignore me, I'll be the crazy guy in the corner murmuring something about Illuminati.

#12 AtomicAdam, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015