MapleStory 2 DPS?

Discussion in 'CBT Discussion' started by kiryuin, Sep 18, 2014.

1. kiryuin

kiryuin City Guard
    Founder

Level:
    already from the video showcases it's obvious some classes are faster than others, but do you think dps will be a thing in the upcoming game or will beginning strength and usefulness over-weigh their need for speed

the ranger skill "rapid shot" looks already overpowered and an easy way to dish damage

2. Kairos

Kairos Guard Sergeant
    Founder

Level:
    Job:
    I'm just hoping that dps character are dps, support characters are support, and tank characters are tanks... I'd rather not see this game become a mindless sit and attack as fast as possible on any character to solo bosses; Strategy please.

3. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    MS1 became "EVERYONE DO DAMAGE!"

I too am hoping that roles will become a priority in this new game. Fuck, ask @ThatWasMyKil as a bishop he shouldn't be doing millions upon millions of damage, but he is. The games focus for MS1 has shifted and it needs to go back.

Another example of how roles mean nothing is how nearly every class has some sort of flash jump/mobility skill. Thieves need flash jump and its fine that they have it. Thats it. Bowmen don't need flash jump and warriors sure as hell don't need it either. Even the new blaze wizard has flash jump. Did Nexon forget magicians can teleport?

3 people like this.
  4. Beast

Beast City Guard

Level:
    It seems to me that each class has stronger skill but uses SP so u can't really spam it all the time at higher lvl's if ur weak and another skill that is weaker but give's u more SP to use the stronger skill. But this is ofc only 1st job skills who knows

4 people like this.
  5. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    I like this system! It discourages spamming and requires you to vary or save your skills.

6. imthatbrick

imthatbrick City Guard

Yeah I like RPG games that you need someone what of a combo/strategy instead of spamming 1 skill.

7. Nic

Nic Guard Sergeant
    Wiki Editor

They made a smart choice in the idea of limiting the spamming of skills, it's a big problem of the MMO Genre.

8. kiryuin

kiryuin City Guard
    Founder

Level:
    we can only hope that grinding will be killer difficult so that support will be an actual thing. i'm genuinely tired of mules

9. AtomicAdam

AtomicAdam Super Kami Guru
    Super Moderator

Level:
    Job:
    I like the idea of classes having their own role, but one of the problems that arises with that if someone deems you not useful to their own endeavors, you usually end up with the short end of the stick. Being a Page/White Knight/Paladin branch warrior since I started the game, there's been plenty of times I've seen this scenario:

"Hey, invite that guy. Hey fighter, use Rage! Oh, you're just a page. -kicks from party-".

I'm all for roles, but they either need to make them all necessary OR let all parties, PQs, bosses, etc. have 8+ people, so even if a certain role isn't "needed" for a particular boss or PQ, they can still be included.

10. Nic

Nic Guard Sergeant
    Wiki Editor

With only 8 inital classes, I think it will be a make all necessary.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom City Guard
    Founder

Wizards looked like the strongest class and fastest for leveling any news when will be able to see heavy gunner and berserker?

12. ThatWasMyKil

ThatWasMyKil The Battle Bishop!
    Administrator

Level:
    Job:

true story cuz.

13. Sleepy Saif

Sleepy Saif Newbie

Has potential, and hopefully it doesn't become easy, re-edited , and up to date with the English servers..

14. Beast

Beast City Guard

Level:
    I watched not long a go a PvP match between 10 players or so, I do believe skill level of the player was a key due to one ranger owning the 1st three matches even against player's from the same class. However, there was a priest who kept winning most of the duels still you can feel with any class you can still beat any other job if ur "THAT GOOD"

15. Batcat

Batcat _(:зゝ∠)_

Job:
    The new system makes it so there is a most cost efficient skill to use and an optimal rotation of cool downs. I started gathering information on each class to test which class will do the most amount of damage (Obviously PvE as in PvP its heavily based on player skill) to bosses. This will help future party set ups for fastest boss clear time. (As this is an element in MapleStory 2). I stopped gathering information for a while though and have not updated my spreadsheet as I am unable to obtain information on how damage calculation works, the difference in weapon damage, stats affecting different classes and weapons and other elements such as future buffs/nerfs and also unable to get into the CBT, armor calculation.

This is what I had so far at the time (1 Year ago?)
    Spread Sheet
    I have a copy of a datamined XML version that kremechoco sent to me but its too hard to make out without knowing Korean.
    The data includes max leveling being 200, each of the xp needed to reach each levels. The drop rates on rarity drops (To get the highest grade weapon the drop rate is ridiculously low).

Tell me what you think, if you any of you guys get into the CBT and would like to help me gather information so I can theory craft please MSG me and ill tell you what I need you to test out, probably just minor things like figuring out damage calculations and stuff.

But here's what I think as of right now;
    (Ranged DPS) (Context of killing Bosses so 10 Man party)
    Heavy Gunner
    - Highest source of constant DPS due to reload skills being able to recover all your MP without having to auto attack brings skill rotation uptime to a maximum. Cons- Bad mobility compared to Assassin and Ranger.
    Assassin- 2nd Highest Source of DPS, probably staple in bosses that require a lot of mobility, Very mobile and probably good in almost all situations.
    Rangers- Skill DPS ratio seems lower than Assassin and Heavy gunner but has a defense debuff which means at least 1 will be in every party.
    Wizards- With the correct rotation the DoTs of wizards and damage is comparable to the DPS of Heavy gunner however I have no idea how MATK is calculated and stuff like that so without more further testing, we cant compare it to physical damage dealers. That being said, some bosses will have more Physical Defense than magical Defense and in those scenarios we can safely assume that Wizards will have a spot in those parties over other DPS.
    Clerics- Obviously a must in parties, how many is dependent on how well coordinated your party is as well as how well geared your party is, I would imagine for a speed clear of a boss, only 1 cleric will be needed as at that point your party will be geared enough to pot tank most of the boss damage with correct coordination with the knight to mitigate damage. 1-2 is usually a must in most parties, even 3 if your party is poorly geared.

Melees
    Knights-
    Low DPS but the utility of Knights is great and they are tanky as fuck. 2 Skills that can mitigate damage AoE, I Think at least 1 Knight should be in every party, with good coordination Knights can drastically reduce the amount of damage taken . 2 Knights, 2 Clerics. Split your party into 2 groups and use your cool downs effectively I think the current Balrog would be doable even with crappy gear. 6 DPS should be more than enough to take down balrog within the given time. I also saw on one of the videos, the mechanic of blocking the boss so it cannot walk to the squishes and one shot them, the coupled with the defense debuff on his shield throw, Knights is also a must in boss parties.

Beserkers- High DPS but its melee and I think in the greater scheme of things you kinda want your 6 DPS be ranged as your clerics heals are in a limited area, unless you can keep your self alive by potting, your gonna be losing dps if you have to move to the cleric everytime you get meleed by the boss. I believe Beserkers can be used as an off tank to deal with Adds (Seen on the great bajar).

Thief- High DPS but squishy however has mobility, same situation as beserker but even a lower margin of error as thiefs will be squisher due to the type of armor they wear, unless they are willing to sacrifice their off hand for a shield they will be squishy and must play perfectly inorder not to lose DPS.

16. Jampysos

Jampysos Guard Sergeant
    Wiki Editor

Most vids I watched Rangers outdmgd Sins or they were back and forth.

17. Batcat

Job:
    this is also based on the assumption that they were both using the most optimal rotations, both using the same gear (stat wise) + buffs etc, and the damage is averaged out over a long period of time so a chain of lucky crits can't spoil the data..
    On that video, a number of factors could be the reason why rangers out dps a sin.

That being said, I don't have enough information on how damage calculation works + weapon damage or defense mitigation. So rangers may well out damage sins espeically with the recent changes to rangers.

18. Jampysos

Jampysos Guard Sergeant
    Wiki Editor

I'm p sure they just do more hits of similar (maybe even less) dmg over a long period of time. Since Rangers could spam Strafe then their Fire Arrow thing with 2 shots per second (iirc @ alpha). I think Sins delay on attacks/SP consumption speed just won't keep up with the nonstop rangers.

#18 Jampysos, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  19. Batcat

Job:
    Thats a good point, I didn't take attack speed into consideration, Rangers have an attack speed buff. Need to see base speed of each weapon types and then need to re-evaluate damage. Thanks for the insight.

20. Whyte

Whyte Bishop of Oryx
    Wiki Editor

Level:
    Job:
    It's also worth keeping in mind that all coordinated parties will have a full buff suite, and in instances of +%AS/+flat DMG, they might scale differently.