The LunaMS epidemic

Discussion in 'Live Streams' started by Sue, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Sue

Sue Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    Although I don't really want to discuss private servers here, I do want to address the epidemic that has hit Twitch.TV. People streaming LunaMS.

Here we are, looking for a nice stream from GMS, EMS, KMS or something like that. But we can't find it because all the darned streams are LunaMS. People come into your own stream and even have to ask if it's not LunaMS because they don't care about it.

It's not what people want to see. They're obstructing the view and discouraging viewers to come to actual Maplestory channels. I think we should fight it.

How about we start reporting these channels? They're obviously streaming illegal content. Can't be too hard to get Twitch's attention.

What I've been doing:

[​IMG]

Reason: Select other.

List of streams that show LunaMS: (Feel free to add)
    twitch.tv/buddypop58
    twitch.tv/guyindreams
    twitch.tv/shortcuts

3 people like this.
  2. Flya

Flya Guard Sergeant
    Founder

Level:
    It is getting to the point that the streamer has to actually put in GMS or EMS into the stream title just to show that they are being legit. Unfortunately though i dont believe that twitch care about private servers being played even though they aren't legal to do anything about it.

3. David

David City Guard
    Founder

I completely agree

I have a theory that the owners of LunaMS are paying/trying to get their players to stream to try and get players into LunaMS,
    I asked one of the streamers if they knew it was illegal and what was so good about LunaMS, and he only answered with
    " LunaMS is great , 6x XP etc... "

Yeah, its drawing more attention to LunaMS rather to the dieing GMS

I'll start reporting the channels that seem to pop up every couple of days

4. Sue

Sue Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    I actually made my stream name "That one stream that isn't LunaMS" and I instantly got 15 more viewers than I usually do. It really shows how little people want to have to do with LunaMS but still want to see a stream related to MS.

That's a fair conclusion. And awesome. They should respond if they get enough report spam. Then again, I might just be a big dreamer.

5. ThatWasMyKil

ThatWasMyKil The Battle Bishop!
    Administrator

Level:
    Job:
    Just reported 5 streams :)

6. David

David City Guard
    Founder

I just had a conversation with 2 of them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. iamflip

iamflip Streams almost every Friday
    Jr Moderator

Level:
    Job:
    Just a bit of a note: Twitch would make it a big deal if they heard from Nexon that such activity is considered illegal by Nexon's terms. Otherwise, reporting is the only thing that can be done.

8. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    What would we report the stream as?

Also, I spoke with some very nice TMS streamers today. I added their streams to the sidebar for them.

9. Sue

Sue Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    The servers are violating the copyright laws, which has been listed in the terms of service of Twitch. Basically, you can't stream copyrighted material or something like that. It's a bit of a twist and turn but you get there eventually.

10. Kairos

Kairos Guard Sergeant
    Founder

Level:
    Job:
    This bothers me so much... glad to see there are other people that feel the same.

^this, ever since I noticed them this was my first thought.

11. Sue

Sue Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    I'm sorry to say, but those lads don't really sound like the sharpest tools in the shed. Also, the reason Nexon doesn't take the servers down is due to it not being all too easy to do so.

12. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    I feel like if Nexon made more examples of Private Server owners, people wouldn't be putting them up so often.

13. Kurt

Kurt Banned
    Banned

Level:
    These ignorant streamers are bringing a lot of attention to LunaMS, and you can be sure Nexon will take notice sooner or later.

If this is the case, they're paying people to dig their grave for them. Especially in their decline, I believe Nexon won't let a private server take a cut of their player base or potential profits.

14. Orekei

Orekei City Guard
    Founder

Level:
    That is true, Nexon will give them a huge beating.

15. greencactuar

greencactuar Guard Sergeant
    Founder

Nexon could easily shut them down. I'm shock they haven't already. I remember like 2 years ago Korea MS Forced BannedStory to close down, and then Nexon US told them not to so I don't know why LunaMS still exists. I mean all they gotta do is bring up the C word...Court and they'd shut down.

16. Grim

Grim Newbie
    Founder

guy just ignore it if you shut it down another will take it place then another then another then another. it will be gone in like 2 months like Eden before it and the before that. i have seen them come and go and they do not stop since its a source anyone can take and make a server with.

17. Sue

Sue Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    We're not talking about shutting down the server. We're talking about getting Twitch to supervise the Maplestory category better. That way it doesn't matter which server goes online, they'd all get removed from Twitch streaming.

18. Zelkova

Zelkova Royal Warden
    Administrator

IGN:
    Soju
    Level:
    Job:
    The problem isn't just any old private server. It is private servers that have programmers that update public sources to compete with GMS/MSEA/etc. These servers are then in direct competition with Nexon and are vying for their potential customers.

And no, these updated servers are not public. The server owner tends to pay quite a fee for their programmer to update their source for them. Because it is not public, there are only a handful of servers that do this. Luna and Extalia are the only two that come to mind. I know for a fact the guy working with Extalia is making some pretty decent cash.

19. Sue

Sue Guard Sergeant
    Retired Staff

Level:
    I think the owner of LunaMS came into my channel while I was bitching about it.

Oops.